Now in its third decade of operation, the University of Oregon Hardware Repair Shop offers extensive computer hardware support and repair services to departments and current students, faculty, and staff of the University of Oregon. Our technicians are experienced with many brands of computers and peripherals, including Apple Macintosh and Windows/Intel machines.
- Apple Computer Repair: We are an Apple-authorized Level 1 service center and can perform warranty, AppleCare, and out-of-warranty repairs on nearly all Macintosh models and peripherals.
- Windows/Intel Computer Repair: We can perform non-warranty repairs on all desktop and laptop models, as well as non-warranty repairs for most Windows/Intel machines.
- Upgrades: Whether you need more memory, a larger hard disk, or want to add a new peripheral, the technicians can help you determine the best and most cost-effective way to upgrade your machine. The shop keeps memory in stock for virtually all Macintosh and Windows/Intel desktop computers. Other items can be ordered upon request.
- Hardware for Backups: Firewire/USB, CD-RW drives, DVD superdrives.
- Parts: The shop stocks a wide selection of cables, power strips, ethernet cards, extension cords, USB hubs and switches, and some PC parts so you won't have to travel far to get what you need.
Hours and Policies
We are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (except holidays). All shop services are available on a first-come, first-served, carry-in basis. Bring your computer equipment to the ground floor of McKenzie Hall and check it in at the Tech Desk in 151 McKenzie.
During weekends, University of Oregon Bookstore customers can also drop off equipment from 10:00 AM until 6:00 PM Saturday and from noon until 6:00 PM Sunday at The Duck Store's Digital Duck.
A free and covered 24 minute loading zone parking spot is located in lot 7B off of Kincaid St. (view map)
Turnaround on repair work is generally one to three business days, depending on workload. Since there are so many different system configurations, some parts require ordering after a problem is diagnosed, which usually takes from two to four business days for delivery. You will be called when the work has been completed, and can pick up your machine at McKenzie Hall.
Upgrades and out-of-warranty repairs are charged on a time-and-materials basis. All RAM upgrades are charged a flat installation fee of $20. The current labor rate is $100 per hour, billed at quarter-hour intervals. There is a minimum $50 fee for diagnosing your problem. If extensive additional work is needed, a technician will contact you before any further work is done. Visa and MasterCard are accepted.
Visa, MasterCard, and Campus Cash are accepted.
phone: 541-346-HELP (541-346-4357)
office: 151 McKenzie Hall
hours: Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm