The Information Services Technology Service Desk (Tech Desk) is committed to supporting University-affiliated students, faculty, and staff with their computing needs. We are located in the Computing Center, and our hours of operation are 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday. Extended hours: During the fall, winter, and spring, we offer phone and email support until 7pm, M-F.
Please feel free to visit us in person, call our telephone support at (541) 346-HELP (4357), or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!
You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter for cool application tips, pointers on computer use, campus updates, safe computing advice, and more!
Services We Offer
- Software troubleshooting
- First-level ethernet and wireless network support
- Virus and spyware removal
- Backups and data transfers
- Account support for all current and retired UO-affiliated persons
Education about personal-computing best practices
Our services are available only to current UO students, faculty, and staff, except as noted.
Environments We Support
The Tech Desk supports the following equipment types:
- Mobile devices and PDAs
The Tech Desk supports the following operating systems and software:
- Windows XP and newer
- Mac OS X 10.4 and newer
- Microsoft Office applications for Windows and Mac, including Office 365 (Office apps and OneDrive cloud storage)
- Internet browsers
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise
- Email clients such as Outlook, Thunderbird, Mac Mail, and Webmail
- Adobe suite of applications
- University-wide site-licensed software found on the Software Center list
- Computer purchase advice based on our Buyer's Guide
Limitations to Our Support
Our Tech Desk support staff will do everything they can to troubleshoot and resolve your issue, but please be aware that we do have a few limitations:
- In order to be fair to our other customers, we have a 2-hour time limit for troubleshooting software issues or removing viruses.
- We do not support Linux or related operating systems.
- We have limited web development support. If you are interested in creating a web page, see Web Hosting and Publishing Services.
Ways to Contact Us
University students, faculty, and staff can get help in four ways:
Our staff is available Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm to answer questions in person. We are closed for official state holidays.
You can find us in the Computing Center, which is at the northwest part of campus. Our street address is 1225 Kincaid St; we are at the corner of E. 12th Avenue and Kincaid Street. (view UO map | view Google map)
Our free telephone support is available Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm. Our phone number is 541-346-HELP (541-346-4357). During the fall, winter, and spring, we offer extended hours for phone and email support: 8am-7pm, M-F.
Ask us a question via e-mail for free, any time! Our e-mail address is email@example.com. When sending us a question via e-mail, please do not include sensitive data like passwords.
We have answers to common questions and problems on this very web site! Try the Services Directory or search (in the upper right corner of this page).
Please note that we are funded through various sources at the University of Oregon with the purpose of providing technical support to the University and its constituents. We are regretfully unable to provide support to users who have no current university affiliation.
Our Goal: Great Service!
We aim to provide great service, and we measure our performance. In November 2015, 93% of our customers surveyed said they would recommend our service to a friend or co-worker.
We also asked about the quality of the help they received. Our grades for November 2015 are:
"Were the Technology Service Desk consultants...
...courteous and professional?" 4.66 out of 5.00
...focused on your concerns?" 4.60 out of 5.00
...helpful and polite?" 4.61 out of 5.00
...able to solve your problem?" 4.28 out of 5.00