Not sure what shell is? See Systems - Documentation - Shell.
Before logging into Shell you need to make sure you have enabled shell access for your UO account. To learn how, see Enabling Shell Access.
- Download and install .
- Open the Secure Shell Client
Located in 'Programs->SSH Secure Shell'
This is what you should see:
- Press Enter or Space to bring up the connection dialog (or click on 'Quick Connect')
- Fill out the connection dialog like the example below, replacing DuckID with your username.
- If this is the first time connecting on this computer this prompt will appear, requesting you to confirm the connection to the host. If you press yes you will not be prompted next time.
- A password prompt should appear, enter the password for your DuckID.
- You are now connected to shell!
Mac OS X
- Open the application Terminal, which is located in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder
- In Terminal type (replacing DuckID with your username):
- If you have never logged into shell before you may be asked to confirm the connection. Type yes to continue.
- Enter your DuckID password.
You are now connected!
Here is a sample of the login process to shell. The sections highlighted in yellow is text entered by the user attempting to connect.