Note: If you are using Outlook in conjunction with Microsoft Exchange, as is the case with many faculty and staff, please contact your local IT support for configuration directions.
When using Outlook 2010 for the first time, you will be guided through the account creation procedure. Since the university requires a few modifications, it is best to use the Manual Account Set Up process. These are the steps using the manual set up:
- On the first screen that appears click "Next"
- Select "Manually configure server settings or additional server types" and click "Next"
- Select "Internet E-Mail" and click "Next"
- Under Personal Information enter your name and your complete email address
- For Server information, under account type select "IMAP", then for incoming server enter: imap.uoregon.edu, then for outgoing server enter: smtp.uoregon.edu
- Under Logon Information, enter your user name (which is everything before the @ in your email address), then enter your password
- Click on Remember Password
- Select "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication"
- Click the More Settings button
- Click on the Advanced tab
- Under the Server Ports Heading, next to the first "use the following type of encrypted connection" select SSL
- Next to the second "use the following type of encrypted connection" select TLS
- In the box next to "Outgoing Server" enter 587
- Click on the Outgoing Server tab
- Check the box next to "My outgoing server requires authentication"
- Click Okay
- Click Next
- Click Finish
Manual setup if you have previously configured Outlook
If you already have set up an account in Outlook, follow these steps to trigger the setup wizard:
- Open Outlook
- From the File menu, select Add Account
- Follow steps 2-18 in the previous section